THE PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
WATER & SEWER DEPARTMENT
- Responsible for the maintenance of water, sewer, and storm catch basins.
- Repair all water main breaks, any season, any time of the day.
- Frozen meters and water pipes.
- Repair water services to houses and install services to newly built houses.
- Maintain entire sewer system throughout the community.
- Install all water meters, and get readings of usage from each home and business in the community.
- Maintain and repair fire hydrants and valves.
- Water Quality reports.
- Snow and ice removal on all city streets.
- Street sweeping
- Maintain all city street signs, installation, removal, replacement, etc.
- Temporary repair of streets. (Cold patch material)
BUILDING AND MAINTENANCE
- Responsible for any and all maintenance for Village owned buildings.
- Maintain parks in the community.
- Responsible for cutting and maintaining grass for Village owned property, as well as snow and ice removal.
- Set-up for all city special events.
WINTER SNOW INFORMATION
- DPW will begin snow removal from village streets after an accumulation of 3 inches or more.
- Trucks will begin salting major streets and around schools after 1 inch accumulation.
- Residents can do the following to help maintain clearer streets in winter:
- Don't shovel/blow snow from driveways and sidewalks back onto streets because it creates dangerous ice patches.
- Clear the lump of snow at the end of your driveway (but not back onto the street).
- Don't park on the street after a snowstorm.
- Keep fire hydrants in front of your property clear of snow and ice.
- When driving, give salt trucks extra room.
- Beware of approaching snowplows as snow can be thrown and may contain rocks and other road debris.
- Allow for extra driving time in inclement weather.
- Be a good neighbor and lend a hand to those in need.
POTHOLE AND ROAD MAINTENANCE
To report a pothole on county roads, please call the Road Commission for Macomb County at (586) 463-8671 .
To report a pothole or street maintenance on a local road, please call (586) 749-5301. If you experience damage to your vehicle, please contact your auto insurance carrier.
STREET SIGN REPAIR
If you see a street sign down or damaged, please call (586) 749-5301. Please make sure that you have the type of sign (stop sign, street name sign, etc.) and exact location including cross streets before you call.
Meet Your DPW Superintendent
Public Works Superintendent
Marcuz Dilbert, has been with the Village of New Haven DPW since 2004. He was appointed to the position of Superintendent in April of 2013. He earned his B.S. in Business Administration (concentration in Management and Marketing) from Grand Valley State University in 2002. Marcuz is a certified drinking water operator with S2 (Water Distribution) and D4 (Limited Treatment)-well testing) licenses through the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, as well as certified in the following areas: Confined Spaces, A1I Storm Water, and Cross Connections. He is also an active member of the American Water Works Association (AWWA), and the Project Management Insittute (Great Lakes Chapter).
He oversees and approves maintenance and capital programs for existing infrastructure, as well as planning for infrastructure. As superintendent, Marcuz also provides advice, guidance and policy recommendations to Village committees and the Village Council. He manages, coordinates and leads the Department of Public Services activities and personnel, including operating, maintaining, repairing, and providing capital construction for all Village infrastructure.
Jason Davenport - Utility Worker