The Village of New Haven was originally established as a village in 1869. Under the village form of government, New Haven residents vote for and can hold elected office in the village, as well as pay taxes to both the Village and Lenox Township.
The Village of New Haven is governed by the Village Law Act, which was adopted in 1895.
A Council consisting of an elected President and six elected trustees is the legislative arm of the Village. The daily administration of the Village is the responsibility of the Village President, and the other administrative officers under the Village Law Act are the Treasurer and the Clerk.
There are currently 8 full-time employees of the Village.
In addition to elected and full time positions, the Village has several appointed boards and commissions to assist in carrying out the functions required by ordinance, state law, or Council direction. These are the Housing Commission, the Cemetery Oversight Committee, the Parks and Recreation Committee, the Planning Commission, and the Zoning Board of Appeals.